Wednesday, June 22, 2011

X-Men: First Class or No Class?

Here it is, a few weeks later and I'm getting around to my thoughts about the X-Men movie that I almost boycotted.

There have been a total of five X-Men movies now, and the last two have left many of us wanting. X-Men: The Last Stand was a melancholy depress-fest that introduced too many characters that didn't get developed properly and left us feeling like slitting our wrists.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a joke with no punchline. It was impossible to take seriously and, again, suffered from poor character development and crowding.
I liked the first movie simply because it wasn't terrible and I was finally getting to see my favorite comic series on screen. This was before the comic book movie industry made an industrious comeback and the quality started declining.

X2: X-Men United was a good movie. It took alot of creative license in regards to the X-Men canon, but every comic movie does. At least it had the gall to be an enjoyable movie.

Being lifelong X-Fan, I obviously have alot of things to say about the newest movie movie. I'll keep it restricted to non-bulleted lists with a few key points.

Things that were handled incorrectly, in no particular order: *SPOILER*
1. Magneto and Xavier were supposed to meet in Israel.
2. The first class was supposed to consist of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, and Beast.
3. Sebastian Shaw appears to be a mixture of Sebastian Shaw, and Bishop. ( Sinister, his energy absorbing powers work to make him physically stronger in the comics. They do not give him the abilty to release energy. That is Bishop's power.)
4. Moira is supposed to be Scottish.

5. Xavier is supposed to lose his hair when his telepathic powers manifest.
6. Xavier first loses the use of his legs when an alien named Lucifer drops a boulder on him, not from a bullet that Magneto deflects.
7. Beast and Mystique have no romantic relationship in the comics.
8. Mystique and Xavier are not lifelong friends in the comics.
9. Riptide and Azazel are not in the Hellfire Club.
10. Riptide does not control wind, but can spin his body at high speeds and hurl flakes of his own skin that resemble shurikens.
11. Beast does not create a serum to look like a normal human, but creates a serum to kick-start latent mutant abilities. (This happens after he leaves the original X-Men and is somehow reversed when he joins X-Factor)
12. Emma Frost does not have her diamond ability until after she reforms and has her secondary mutation triggered by the destruction of Genosha.
13. Sebastian Shaw is not a part of Magneto's origin.
14. Havok does not join the X-Men until after Cyclops.
15. Darwin does not join the X-Men until after four of the original five are captured but Krakoa.
16. Banshee does not join the X-Men until after Xavier's first team is annihilated, with the exception of Darwin, who doesn't appear again for many years.
17. Angel Salvadore never officially joins the X-Men, but is rescued from U-Men by Wolverine much later and attends the institute for a short time. What ever happened to her, anyway? Not that I care.
18. Most of the ages are kind of screwed up.
19. There was no after-credits scene.
20. Banshee didn't have an Irish accent.
21. January Jones was terrible.
22. Hellfire Club...in a sub?

Things I liked:
1. It wasn't X-men: The Last Stand.
2. It wasn't X-Men Origins: Wolverine
3. Wolverine appeared for a brief cameo, and was not heard from for the rest of the movie.
4. Rebecca Romjin made a cameo.
5. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender put on a good performance and had plenty of screen time.

When I heard that Emma Frost and Banshee were being cast for this movie, I thought that maybe their history was going to be represented well. But no. Not a chance.

I will say that it was somewhat enjoyable and it sits right in the middle in relation to the other movie. I didn't like it as much as the first two, but I didn't hate it as much as the last.

I give this movie two pointless characters with no lines down, and one Hellfire Sub down, and one blue kitten to the right.


"I can't talk about it anymore. It's giving me a headache."

"Are you ok, Charles?"

"Yes. I'm just pressing the button on my temple that activates my Optic Blasts."

"You mean telepathy?"

"Yes. That's what I said."

1 comment:

  1. Great points! Although I liked the movie (but not loved it), I was definitely disappointed in the "first class" not being the original members from the comics. I thought it would be modeled after the X-Men: First Class comic books. Hence, the same name. I guess not.

    Emma Frost is one of my favorite characters because of her depth (see her short-lived 18-issue series) and, you're right, January Jones was the wrong pick for her. They needed someone tougher.

    Nice try, though.

    ReplyDelete