Saturday, January 21, 2012

First round of DC cuts - Mine are safe

Of the New 52 DC titles released last September, I am currently reading six. DC has announced that six titles will be cut after an evaluation of sales. I wasn't particularly worried about five of the titles I read, but Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. may not be for everyone, so I was a little worried. While titles that were met with poor criticism will stay based solely on name alone(Green Arrow, Detective Comics, Teen Titans, etc),  some of the cuts still confuse me. I'm not surprised that Blackhawks and Mister Terrific are being cut. I didn't read them, and I heard they were terrible. I'm not sure what to think about Men at War being cut. It seemed like most people I heard from were generally positive and it was one of the only war books DC launched. Static Shock surprises me slightly, because I know there are diehard fans out there, just maybe not enough to hold sales at a decent amount.

What surprised me the most is the cancellation of O.M.A.C. and Hawk and Dove. Now, I am no huge fan of Rob Leifeld, but he has a pretty strong following from what I see on the interwebs. There are people on message boards that will defend his silly artwork to the teeth. Everyone that I've heard talk about O.M.A.C. has said that it's a super-fun book. I really did not expect to see it on the chopping block first. Maybe this is Dan Didio's way of telling his staff that nobody is safe if they don't pull the numbers that are expected and as an act of good faith, he let his own book be chopped.

These cancellations are not simply disappearing into the ether to leave teh New 52 as the New 46. Oh no, sir. We are getting a new round of books. Among others, DC is launching yet another Batman Book. I'm not sure why this one was held for the second round, because I hear that Batman Inc. is a high seller. We will also be getting Earth 2, World's Finest, The Ravagers, G.I. Combat, and the only one that looks mildly interesting to me, Dial H.

I feel like the only cancellation that really bothers me is DC's logo cancellation.
This is the current logo:
And this is the prospective logo:
To put it lightly, I think the new logo sucks. The old one is less than a decade old and it was strong. Personally, I liked the one from the 80's and 90's:

2 comments:

  1. I liked the current logo more than the 80s one, but I don't have many good things to say about the new one. From a marketing perspective, I don't feel it is very good "branding." It doesn't get across the message that DC should want to send to its readers. It's pretty bland and doesn't say "superhero" or "comic book."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's supposed to be a page turning. The image of the 'D' is mostly lost on a viewer that isn't aware that there is supposed to be a D. It feels very uninspired. I don't know why DC seems to be obsessed with change, while the New 52 brought some new readers to DC, I feel that many of the books were dropped by long-time fans. Think about it. Six of there new titles have been cancelled and replaced. I don't think Marvel has ever simultaneously launched 6 new ongoings and canceled them within a year. It's bad practice. I know their plan was to drop the six lowest sellers all along, but it doesn't look good on a business plan.

    ReplyDelete