Friday, December 30, 2011

Comics that Santa brought me

Batwoman: Elegy
Anticipation: 10/10

I love J.H.Williams' art and layouts so much that I could probably enjoy a comic written by Stephanie Meyer as long as he penciled it. This artist is a real inspiration to me as an artist and it shows that taking the time to master your craft pays off. Unbelievably gorgeous. The current Batwoman ongoing has kind of eluded me because I haven't read Elegy and I hear that it really explains all of the back story that I have missed. I can't wait to read it!
Fables Vol 1: Legends in Exile
Anticipation: 10/10

The only disheartening part about this series is that it's past issue 100 and I loved this trade, so I have quite a few more to catch up on. Now, I may not be a super-experienced critic of writing styles and this may seem like blasphemy to the wider-read comic book aficionado, but this reminded me of Alan Moore's Top 10 books. Just something about how the characters and how they are presented struck the same note. I wish there was Moore Top 10(get it?) to read, but I look forward to getting caught up on Willingham's Fables. I think Willingham is a badass for his interview with himself explaining his Fables and the similarities to the Once Upon a Time tv series. I've read the first trade of Fables and seen every episode of OUaT, and I think Fables is far superior, so really they didn't rip off anything.
The Unwritten Vol 3: Dead Man's Knock
Anticipation: 10/10

The Unwritten has been a masterpiece from page one and on. I really have disliked Mike Carey's last couple of years on X-Men: Legacy, but it's clear that he may be using up all of his creative talents on The Unwritten. It is delightful and intriguing in that special way that only the most well-written comic book can be. He truly demonstrates the unique power of the comic through all channels of the medium. It's amazing that this rather wordy comic can reach out to a person, like myself, who has such a short attention span. It takes me awhile to get through each page, but I find myself excited to see what awaits me at the turn of it. Very gripping and vast in scope. Carey shows us big ideas wrapped up in small focused packages. Love love love it. This is one of those rare books in which I read the first trade, went immediately out and bought the second trade, then started buying single comics and waiting to read them until I was current on the series. I have pulled #30 through 33 without even reading them. that's how invested I am with these books.

Also, I got another Christmas Comic from my friends over at fightforcomics.com in the form of a World War Hulk trade signed by Greg Rucka Pak! Be sure to listen to their podcast! They do a trivia contest each week and give away awesome signed comics! Check them out!






 

Santa also brought me an eBay gift card, so what else did I get?  Runaways vol 2-4!

No comments:

Post a Comment