Sunday, April 1, 2012

Locke and Key Vol 1 - Welcome to Lovecraft

The week I get my new Kindle Fire, and Comixology has a sale on all Locke & Key digital comics. I've never read any L&K, but I'd heard good things about it. Well, I bought the first trade for $4.99, which falls well within my I-don't-believe-in-buying-digital-comics-for-more-than-a-dollar-each rule. I read the first issue and went back and bought the remaining 4 volumes. It's really enjoyable.

The story is basically that a 17-year-old kid named Sam Lesser ends up murdering Rendell Locke because he wanted to know the where-abouts of a key that goes to something that we don't know yet. He ends up getting bludgeoned with a brick by Rendell's oldest son, Tyler and sent off to juvenile hall.

Tyler, his sister Kinsey, younger brother Bode and his mother ditch town and move to the town of Lovecraft into a house that has been in the family for awhile. Anyway, Bode opens a door with a black key he found and, upon stepping through the door, is separated from his body and can float around as a ghost while his lifeless husk drools at the door. Well, no one believes him because they assume he is just making stuff up to cope with his father's murder. As a ghost, he starts to find more strange things going on inside and outside of the house. Meanwhile, Sam Lesser escapes from prison and starts his murderous trek across country to finish what he started a year ago.

My summary really does no justice to how well dialogued and laid-out this story is. Gabriel Rodriguez pencils the books and it seems as though this is one of those perfect duos of art/story that I, for one, will remember. It's a thick-line, slightly caricatured style for the characters he draws, on top of a very cohesive and realistic backdrop. It's gorgeous. The big chins on the guys bothered me at first, but as soon as I started reading it, I understood what a perfect fit it was. On the topic, it is very graphic and there is alot of gore and disturbing imagery. This is not for children. I loved it, however.

I can't recommend this series enough and can't wait to start the second volume.

Unfortunately, the %50 of sale that comixology has ended, but I would pay full price for these in a heartbeat.

I give Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft two drunken mothers up and one gaping exit wound to the eye socket also up.

No comments:

Post a Comment