Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Amazing Spider-Man #652

I thought the transition from Ramos to someone who isn't Ramos would be tough for me. I have a problem moving on to new artist's. I was pleased to see, however, that Stefano Caselli is a fantastic artist. Not only that, but his style really does compliment Spider-Man for where he's at as far as atmosphere goes. I feel he has a more practiced hand with figure drawing and portraiture then Ramos,, yet he mixes in cartoony elements as well. Not that Ramos isn't a good artist. It just seems as though he is studied more with caricature and cartoon. Both techniques have their place, and Spidey has always been enjoyable to see in a less-serious tone.

As for Dan Slott's writing, it is as practical and uncomplicated as I've come to expect since reading my first Spidey in ten years a few issues ago. Wait a sec...I'm not sure if practical is a compliment to a writer or not. What I meant by that is that it doesn't bother with formalities that many other writers tend to take in the way of over-elaborating on things that readers can clearly understand without explanation.  It is balanced and makes every nod that we want it to make to the audience. Everything from the narration to the banter feels necessary.

Amazing is, at the moment, making me happy to be reading Spidey again. It just feels linear as opposed to being an X-book reader, which more often than not leaves me annoyed at continuity and angry at characters that seem omnipotent. It feels good to slowly be creeping out from the mutant world. I'm trying to broaden my horizons a little. You know, check into X-Men rehab. It's a long road ahead. One day at a time, and such.

I should mention that I bought a Thor comic today.

I have read one (1) Thor book ever. ONE. I think it was from, like, 88'. Had no idea what was going on. The big reason I bought this book is because I love Matt Fraction and wanted to see how he writes comics other than Uncanny. Also, my best friend and hetero life-mate loves Thor. So I figured I'd give him a try. Single-hero titles will be a nice break from the X-hole that I've fallen into.

Maybe I'll do two reviews tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to point out that technically, I am your hetero-life mate. ; )

    ReplyDelete