Monday, January 31, 2011

X-Men (vol 3) #7 - Post Vamp Arc

May I say that I am really enjoying Victor Gischler's run on this title. I also like that we've had the fortune of going from a good artist to another good artist. Medina's art was enjoyable, and now that we have Bachalo on board, I'm just having a ball. Bachalo's pencils just have a way of making me feel jazzed.

Onward to plot. One question: Why does Storm always seem to get sent on missions in which there will be teeny, tiny corridors? That Cyclops has a love of irony when he's rostering his operations.

I'm thrilled to see smaller groups of X-Men taking part in smaller scale adventures. It's refreshing to see a quartet spelunking in sewers rather than watch an all-out, no-holds-barred, every-mutant-gets-frame-time extravaganza. Yes Wolverine is being used, and yes a majority of the panels are splashed in yellow spandex, but it's not bothering me as much as normal, somehow. I love Storm and Gambit books, too. The addition of Emma within the gathering adds a bit of the unexpected. She adds flavor with complaints and boobs.

One bit of malicious criticism is in regards to a certain faux pas that either Chris Bachalo or someone who edited the particular page in question may have committed. A double use of a single drawing is never acceptable unless is for the sake of comedic repetition, ie: a delayed reaction sequence. Well here's one that bothered me quite ruthlessly. I don't know if it's time restraints, or an editorial choice, but I think this trick is above an artist like CB.

I'm a little verklempt...
Talk amongst yourselves...
I will give you a topic...
Shadowcat is neither a shadow, nor a cat...
Discuss

Ok, I'm betta.

Seriously, though. I hate that


I want to point out one last thing before I relieve y'all. Vic Gischler has lived in Louisiana and he pays special attention to Gambit's dialogue. I've made this point countless times, and I'll make it again.

Gambit is my favorite modern age X-man. I'm married to a Cajun girl from Crowley, LA. I have always wanted someone to make Gambit's dialogue valid and believable. Suffice to say that this single frame satisfied me.

My wife says what Remy says in this panel all the time.

I'm not joking, Vic. I want my muffaletta to make an appearance in the Cajun's hands. He could even charge it and throw it at The Lizard for all I care. As long as that crusty, salty, meaty, olivey sandwich makes it into an X-Men comic, I can die happy.

Make mine, Gischler.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to have an idea of what's coming next in the X-books. Being in Brazil, we have roughly a 1-year delay in whatever gets published here.
    It doesn't help that I gave up reading almost a year ago, only getting back to it recently and having to search for the issues I lost. I still got a whole lot of stuff to catch up, just now I'm coming out of Secret Invasion...
    Neat blog, you just got another x-follower!

    ReplyDelete