Friday, August 19, 2011

Giant Size Wolverine and the X-Men - Now with more races!

Is this...Krakoa? Seriously? Is it? Because if it is, then holy shit.

In case you don't know, Krakoa is a mutant. This mutant's powers are being an island. It's an island. Four of the original five X-Men were captured and Xavier had to recruit a new team to save them. This team consisted of Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Banshee, Nightcrawler, Sunfire, and Thunderbird. It gave Marvel a chance to show that it is diverse and went from a whole-grain white bread team to a rye-pumpernickel team with a lox shmear. Anyway, they saved the X-Men and Beast, Angel and Iceman joined the Defenders and the new X-Men became the regular X-Men.

Later on, Ed Brubaker retconned the entire thing and as it turns out, this team of X-Men was actually the second team Xavier recruited. The first team consisted of Vulcan, Sway, Darwin, and Petra. This team was a million times more powerful than the Giant Size counterparts, yet they all met their end on their first mission, or so it would seem. Vulcan survives and makes trouble for the X-Men, The Shi'ar, and the Inhumans later in life and Darwin never dies, so he shows up alive and joins the X-Men and later X-Factor. So, basically, a Russian that can turn into a can of beets and a Canadian in need of a manicure defeated a villain that a guy who could destroy planets could not defeat. Makes perfect sense.

That being said. If this is indeed Krakoa, and that is a uneducated guess, I think it would be entertaining. Especially with Bachalo on pencils. That guy is always entertaining.

5 comments:

  1. Well I for one hope that's NOT Krakoa... I think you said it best with this: "Krakoa is a mutant. This mutant's powers are being an island." I mean that right there just boggles my mind... Was Krakoa once a normal little boy who grew into an island? An island who gained sentience due to an... I don't know, mutated island gene? A mutated Skrull? Although if it was that last one I'm sure Bendis would have used it during Secret Invasion... But looking past my feelings towards Krakoa, The Island That Walked Like A Man(god do I love saying that!), I'd bet you almost any amount of money that you're right and that is indeed Krakoa. Well, if nothing else I guess it'll definitely be interesting... To my knowledge Wolverine hasn't no-sold an island recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To quote Sir Ian McKellan:
    What are you going to do? Scratch it with your claws?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA!!! I bow down to you good sir! X2 is probably my favorite Marvel comic movie, so I tip my hat to you for that one. Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why Nightcrawler's absence wasn't explained in The Last Stand is number one on my list of crap from that movie. That, and the Vinny Jones Juggernaut...and the lack of lines that Eric Dane had as Madrox....and Calisto....and Psylocke...and Arclight...and Quill, whoever the crap he is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. The Last Stand was bad... The ONLY good thing about that movie was seeing Jean go crazy and killing everybody. The final scene where she's at Alcatraz(I think? It's been a while since I saw it) just disintegrating everything/everyone was awesome. But storywise? Ugh...

    ReplyDelete