Wednesday, August 17, 2011

It's Comic Book Day!

Yay! It's comic book day!

I have not purchased comics regularly for about two months because I bought my wife an anniversary present that needs paying for. Today I found some cash in my wallet! You know what that means? I'm buying some freakin comics. I only got four today.  Since I haven't read any of them yet, let's check out some covers!

Journey Into Mystery #626
Ever since Fear Itself started, Journey has been brought back in that absurd numbering that Marvel loves so much. Where are #522 through #621? Who gives a shit? These are gods we're talking about. So what if they don't keep proper chronology of their canon? Moving on. Since it's renumbering, this title has been knock-down, drag-out awesome. There comes a time when a comic nerd has to admit to his posering. This is the first Thor book I have EVER read. So yeah, nobody has any excuse not to read this title. It's easy to pick up having a rudimentary knowledge of what Thor is basically about, and a love for great storytelling and great art. Kieron Gillen is one of the most gripping authors in comics right now. Read it. Love it. Tell your friends to read it. I would talk about Mighty Thor #4, because there were some on the shelf still, but I have a subscription, so I didn't buy one today. Matt Fraction and Kieron Gillen can tag team Thor and X-Men like the fucking Legion of Doom. (Unabashed WWF reference). I give this title two Hel Hounds up.
Next up! Generation Hope #10. I had reservations about this title for at least the first three issues. That was mainly brought on by the fact that the first four mutants born after M-Day, or "Lights" were in Tokyo seeking the fifth "Light", who was a reality-bending, techno-organic mass resembling Tetsuo from Akiro, I could only assume that these mutant manifestations are called Lights because they showed up on Cerebra as a spike in the mutant population and, thus, resembled lights. Who knows. Anyway I'm normally against a new title whose first story arc lasts more than three issues, but for some reason I kept buying them. At about the time the sixth light showed up and turned out to be a mutant that hasn't even been born yet, the series started being truly redeemable. Every one of the Lights tries to reach out to the psychic fetus inside this woman's belly to try to stop it from turning all of the people within a certain radius into mindless slaves. As it turns out, Teon, the seemingly feral and simplest of the Lights, is the one that is able to reach the baby. For mea, this was the moment I started really liking the series and was glad to have stuck with it. Unfortunately, I have missed two and decided to buy this one today. On the recap page, in red font, I see a "please read Schism #3 first". Well, I haven't read Schism #1 or #2 yet, let alone #3. Are these things coming out every week? I took the high road and put Generation Hope down to read another day.

Stand back. I don't want to get hit by any juice when your mind blows. Today, I bought, not one, but two DC comics. It seems kind of foolish since this month is nothing but final issues since DC is rebooting next month. Nonetheless, I decided to take the advice of my friends Evie and Aaron at Awesomed By Comics, and check out Secret Six. This book is Evie's book of the week pretty consistently and I have come to trust her and Aaron's judgement. I have read I Kill Giants, The Unwritten, The Helm, and just purchased the first trade of Unknown Soldier per their recommendations. So why not buy the last book of Secret Six? Maybe it will coerce me into back-issuing the last 35. I don't believe I've ever read a Gail Simone book, so this will be my first experience. I expect great things, but I am well aware that I am reading the last book of a series, so I will probably not know what is going on. Incidentally, I am considering picking up the first issues of Batwoman and Batgirl simply because of the creators that were spoken highly of in the Awesomed By Comics podcast.

Finally, we come to the last book I bought today. Power Girl #27. I bought #24 a few months back, and loved it. I bought this issue because I looked at the shelf and there were boobies. I can imagine that this is the reason that many comic books are purchased, but I also happen to like the little bit of exposure I have had to Power Girl thus far (pun intended). One thing that shocks me about this book is that this is the last one. No, I mean really. There is not a Power Girl book slated for the DC reboot. If she appears in Superman books, I will not know, because fuck Superman. What the hell DC? This series has been met with tons of praise from the comics community and what do you do? You cancel it. This is probably due to the fact that DC is a major publisher, and when a title is well written and well drawn, major publishers cancel said title. Well, fuck you DC. I'm going to buy back-issues of Power girl, and forgo buying new issues of the Rob Liefeld illustrated Hawk and Dove. Do you know why? Because it's going to be shit. I would have bought a Power Girl book, but you decided to launch several shitty books instead. Why am I so pissed? Probably because it took me two beers to make it through this post and DC has the nerve to still be taking dookies on my comics. Give us back Power Girl. There's also boobies to consider.

I give DC two feet up their sorry asses for being speculative douche bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment