Sunday, October 2, 2011

Superman #1

*SPOILERS*

We get our main Superman title in the last batch of new 52's. The grand opening of the all new, all different Daily Planet. We get a burly Perry White complaining to Lois Lane about the lack of integrity of an all-online news publisher, and Lois, of course, wondering where Clark is. Pan over to Superman hovering above the ruins of the freshly demolished all old, all the same Daily Planet. Then a fire monster shows up, then Superman fights it, then he wins, then he goes to Lois's apartment, then he finds a dude there, then some other shit happens. I will go on record saying that this thing is one wordy sonofabitch. I don't think the bulk of the text was unnecessary, however. There wasn't very much campy dialogue, either. The narrative were not done in a point-of-view way. Instead they were exactly what they are supposed to be, narrative.
There was no;
      [I realized the fire wasn't igniting the metal]
It was more like;
      [Superman discovered that the metal was becoming fire]
It's not that big of a deal, but I liked the way they were done from a third person perspective.
      [Superman realized that because of the unfreezing process, he had no inner monologue]
 So, in regards to the writing and dialogue duties, I think George Perez handled them well. There was alot of action and alot of story. By the time I was done, it felt like I had just watched a season premiere, and that is why I liked this book. Good way to use a #1.

The art by Jesus Merino is well done. It's reminiscent of the actiony art of the late 80s mixed with the photoshop colors of the mid 90s. That may or may not make any sense. I thought it was good. Not my favorite style of art, but it suits a Superman book just fine.

I picked up Superman #1 expecting to be indifferent, and I put it down two hours later being excited for the next issue. There was plenty of setup and story. It successfully communicates the status quo of the characters involved. The art is comic-booky and exciting. It's all-in-all a decently rewarding read. I wasn't blown away in the same way I was with Animal Man and Swamp Thing, but I certainly put it in my 'buy the next issue' pile.

I do think the Super Manties need to come back.

I give Superman #1 two flaming Daily Planets to the face up.

1 comment:

  1. "I give Superman #1 two flaming Daily Planets to the face up"
    I love your Rating system.

    This was a good issue for me too, no problems whit the narrative it was really natural and gave us a lot of information about the actual status quo of Superman

    ReplyDelete