Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Dark Knight #1

I know I said I was going to do Superman next, but I changed my mind.

Batman: The Dark Knight #1. I really don't have much to say about this comic, and that is a shocker to people who have ever read a blog post of mine. I have no color commentary. No inappropriate language. Ok, that's a lie. I will say some things that probably have something to do with feces, but that's pretty common for me.

SPOILER ALERT

I think this is a standard superhero comic book. This is exactly what I would expect for a Batman title. Batman dropping down from the Batwing and changing into a tux to go mingle and schmooze with dignitaries and exotic women with impossible poses as well as skirts. Then swinging by Arkham to stick a few batarangs in the asses of one of the frequent prison breaks and possibly meet up with Scott Lobdell to 'clock some skulls together'.

Then, inevitably, he runs into a bad guy that is somehow more of a challenge than the hundreds of other inmates. Who else but...Twoface? He's a hulk of a man with tree branches for veins. Either this is Twoface that is juiced up on some of Bane's venom, or this is just what Twoface looks like in this new DC universe. He states that he is now called 'Oneface', despite still having zombie-mutant-stroke face on one side. I don't get it, but I guess I'll bother to buy the next issue to find out.

I know everyone loves David Finch's pencils, but I honestly have never really seen the draw *cough* of his art. He would be awesome if this was the mid-90s. I guess I just expect more from a big name artist than men that look like they are pinching a loaf in every panel(there's the poop reference) and women that throw their backs out with every pose. The art doesn't offend me, but I don't think it's all that and a bag of chips.

I am relatively lukewarm on this book. I might buy the next one, but I'm doing so reluctantly.

I give Batman: The Dark Knight #1 one Twoface up and two Oneface's down. So...we're basically breaking even.

No comments:

Post a Comment