Saturday, November 19, 2011

Uncanny X-Men #1

You know, of all the comics I read, I am truly an X-Men fan. I have every issue of X-Men volume 2, and many of Uncanny. I also have collected all of the various other X-titles from the late 80's up until now. I am not pleased by this relaunch.

It's not because I am mad that the first X-Men series is being renumbered for no apparent reason. It's not because I'm mad that it's being reset in aftermath to an event that wasn't even seen on the pages of this particular title. It's not because of any separation anxiety that I am feeling and how depressing Utopia seems now that most of the heart has left the building. It's not even because it looks like Cyclops has an enormous erection on the front cover.

It's because I'm just not feeling inspired by this team. This is a big deal and it's just boring. I like Sinister as a focal villain of the first post-Schism arc. I love what Kieron Gillen has been doing with Uncanny. I love most of the team members. I love that Greg Land isn't "illustrating" this title anymore. It's just, after the fun I had with Wolverine and The X-Men #1, I'm just burnt out on this. I hate to say this, but I'm team Logan. This comic was boring. I had no fun. I don't feel like the dynamic of these team members is being represented in an interesting way. It's almost as if they are too powerful. I know that's kind of the point, but this first issue just felt disjointed.

So, now that the 'school' part of the X-Men is out of Cyclops' hair, he is free to pursue his dream of becoming the premier super-team on the planet. This is clearly a case of penis envy with Captain America and The Avengers. I want to say that I belive that Cyclops' team could take The Avengers. I think Colossonaut would be able to hold off Rulk. Magneto would crush Iron Man. Danger would probably have some type of defensive measure to deal with The Protector, Storm and Namor could take Spider Woman and Ms. Marvel, and Cyclops has the strategic skills and combat skills to go head-to-head with The Cap. Factor in that Scott is probably willing to play dirtier than Steve. I don't know, maybe Spider-Man could save the day in his usual unlikely fashion.

So what do we need to make this book interesting? The inevitable return of, arguably, the X-Men's most dangerous rogue and team him with the tech of a Celestial. right off the bat we have pretty much the most powerful threat they could face. It can only go downhill from here. I'm not blaming Kieron Gillen. He has so much to juggle with Uncanny, not to mention Gen Hope and Journey Into Mystery. All very story-heavy books. I just feel like this is not working. They will sell because it's the flagship X-book, but I'm not very impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment