Friday, November 25, 2011

X-Factor 227

X-factor is a book that I love. I love it because Peter David writes it. I will stay on board as long as Peter David is writing it, and I will probably drop it when he leaves the book. Another thing I love about it is that there is not one A-List character in it. Really! It doesn't need Wolverine, or Spidey, or Thor(except in cameo) to sell books. I am happy to see characters that don't appear regularly in other books. This used to be a thing that Marvel and DC would do. They would get together a bunch of C-list characters that couldn't star in their own title, and run with it. It's pretty rare now to see a team book like this anymore. It's like X-Factor is our reward for being long time X-book readers. We have Guido, Madrox,  from the 'All New, All Different' X-Factor days. We have Syrin(Banshee) and Shatterstar from the Rob Liefeld X-Force days. We have Rahne who has been in both X-Factor and New Mutants, and Rictor from both X-Force and New Mutants. Then we have Monet from Generation X, and Longshot from even deeper into the Uncanny X-Bag. Layla is a shot of freshness from House of M. Every X-Men fan liked and or loved at least one of those titles at some point, and I loved them all.
That's why this comic is so fun. I have to say that I am honestly not looking forward to Havok and possibly Polaris coming back to the pages of X-Factor. I really don't care for them, and I feel that it's going to start feeling like too many cooks in the kitchen, but I felt that way when Star and Longshot joined the fray, and they are welcome characters now.
This particular issue is just full of various surprises. I really hate talking about X-factor because I want people to buy it and find out for themselves, which you should do. Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment