Sunday, September 25, 2011

Animal Man - My first New 52 book

Animal Man is the first book I've picked up from the New 52 and it was the one that was the most appealing to me due to the 'everyman' approach to the character. I like superheroes being accessible in that way.

The intro interview page made me think of Alan Moore's articles in the beginning of every Watchmen issue. I feel that Jeff Lemire has become a very mindful writer and really captures the humanity of the character, which is a very good approach considering he's Animal Man. Buddy balances having extraordinary powers with his family life. Not a topic we haven't seen in comics a hundred times, but it is written in a way that presents itself as fresh and new.

Yes, Buddy was a superhero. Yes he fights crime. What he does that is unique is struggle with feelings of sadness for the people committing the crimes that he is stepping in to stop. A gunman is in a children's ward of the hospital and is demanding to see his dead daughter of whom he is sure is still alive and the hospital is hiding her. Buddy doesn't smash through a wall and beat the guy up. Sure, he knocks the guy into a wall, but only after trying to talk him down and relate to him using his own children as an example. Then he tells the man that everything's going to be ok. It's this desperate need to help people without resorting to violence that makes this story intriguing. Maybe it's just written and paced extremely well.

The artwork by Travel Foreman doesn't hurt the story one bit, either. The realism and motion in his lines are something I have not seen very often in comics. It's simple, yet every contour that is on the page is relevant.

So many people reviewing this book have undoubtedly spent time talking about the dream sequence, so I'll only say a few things. Red is the only color used. The rest is in black and white only. This is significant to lead up to the entity that shows itself in the dream.

The visuals are striking and disturbing. This book has a distinct horror note to it. Which is nice. I haven't read a horror book in a long while. Let's not forget that many of the first comics of the Golden Age were horror stories. I honestly can't wait for the second issue and I hope that this book stays in print for a long time. with the same creative team.

I give Animal Man #1 two enthusiastic wags of a skeletal tail up.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the everyman approach is good, and that Jeff Lemire's writing suits the character very well.

    As far as the comics that didn't make it onto your pull list, maybe it's time to check out DC's digital comics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an avid collector, I can't see a reason for buying a comic that I can't horde in a longbox. I'm really excited about a select few of the New 52, but I had to just bite the bullet and buy them at a markup on ebay. If you can talk me down from this 'not going digital' high-horse, I welcome any advise for breaking the paper habit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you -- reading DC Comics! Welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete