Monday, September 26, 2011

Swamp Thing - Second New 52 book for me

I a few more of the New 52 today. I've learned a lesson here. Next time a publisher reboots it's entire universe, don't wait to ebay the comics you want to read. I've been paying an average of about five bucks apiece for these puppies.

So, Swamp Thing #1. Written by Scott Snyder. We have a thorough introduction to the main character, and why we want to be interested in him. This is a good full-on setup issue, since the only Swamp Thing happens on the last page. I don't mind. I'm sure we'll be seeing much more in the upcoming issues.

The DC Universe seems to be fully established and present. We see Clark Kent on the phone with Batman, and then apparently on a three-way(kinky) call with Aquaman. Then Superman shows up and talks to Alec about the burden of coming back from the dead.

I feel that Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire are going to connect with both Animal Man and Swamp Thing really well. The horror genre is really pleasing me right now. It's giving these writers and artists a chance to really put out some intriguing stuff. Speaking of art(and I usually do), Yanick Paquette shines in this. I just realized that he does his own inks. I hope this isn't too large a workload with how detailed and thorough his art is. I would hate to see him take too many breaks from doing this every month. The art is splendid.

I kind of wish I hadn't picked my New 52 books so wisely, just so I could have something negative to talk about. Maybe I'll check out Legion of Superheroes. I heard that's a pile of crap.

I give Swamp Thing #1 two neck-twisting, mutant death flies up.

No comments:

Post a Comment