Friday, September 23, 2011

Comic Book Day! - My bad

So I added some New 52's to my pull list late tuesday night and they didn't get pulled. Of course they were out of Batman, Nightwing, and Teen Titans. No biggie, I'll just buy them for $20 apiece on ebay. I hate myself. Let's check out some covers for the stuff that I did manage to pick up.

Between TMNT and Ghostbusters, I feel as though my entire childhood is being reimagined, but that happened at Hot Topic years ago. Now let's talk about the comic. I would buy TMNT comics even if it were written by Brian Bendis and drawn by Greg Land, but luckily, we've got TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman writing this. There's nothing I love more than all-red-bandana TMNT. This is the good stuff.

The story is tweaked in many ways. April O'Neil is a biologist of some shit, and Baxter Stockman is a cool black guy instead of Mort Goldstein. I have to realize that I didn't really give a crap about the continuity when I was a kid, and that's my approach this time around. I don't care, I just want to see the turtles beat up bad guys and eat pizza, while Raphael bitches and acts like a bastard.

I'll keep buying it as long as they make it. I'm loving it.


Journey Into Mystery is on my must-buy list. It has been excellent since the relaunch and is really one of the few Fear Itself tie-ins that matters in my opinion. Kieron Gillen has become one of the writers I most anticipate reading. I was worried when Matt Fraction left Uncanny X-Men and Gillen took over, because I was unfamiliar with his writing, but I really took to it quickly.

I think anyone can read this book.

It's universally appealing.

That is, if you like the fantasy, mythology stuff...and sorcery....and I would recommend liking comics in general. Ok, maybe not everyone would like it, but anyone who likes good comics is missing out if they haven't read this.

The covers awesome, too. Mephisto is such a loveable shmuck.

I skipped a few of these, but I have really liked Generation Hope since it hit it's stride around issue #6. Again, we're reading Gillen, here. I feel that he gives all of the teens a distinct voice of there own. Let's not forget that Gillen is tying into both of the major events happening at either end of the Marvel U. His Uncanny and Journey Into Mystery is tied to Fear Itself, and they both know that they are a part of this event and are relevant. He also write Gen Hope, which is the only book that actually has tied into Schism on the X-Men side of things.

He's one of Marvel's saving graces. that's for damn sure.

Blah, blah, blah...

Filler, filler, filling space until I get to the next spot for an image....blah blah blah

This cover rocks. I love it mightily. I haven't read a single one of these new Daredevil books, and I've read about five DD books ever. I have just been hearing great things about this title and wanted to be included.

I've always been kind of curious about DD. I like the idea of the street-level, simple, ourside-of-the-rest-of-the-Marvel-U book. I'm overwhelmed with events and continuity. I just want to read a comic for the story contained within that comic.

And the cover is awesome.

Luckily for me, Daredevil wouldn't waste his time with those other 'team books' he just does his own thing.

Right?


Wait...what's this? Aw dammit!



No comments:

Post a Comment