Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Amazing Spider-Man #650

GA GA OH LA LA
I have officially seen everything. Spider-Man has been rescued from certain flaming-sword death by the vocal talents of Lady Gaga.

I haven't read Amazing Spider-Man in, oh...two decades. Seriously. Just before my hiatus from comics that I took from X-Men #44 to X-Men: Legacy #220, I had a Spider-Man phase. I collected all of the ASM books that Eric Larsen penciled because I got sucked into the Image vortex and became obsessed with Larsen because of the Savage Dragon. If that's all gibberish to you...then I ponder why you are reading my blog.

Long story short, I think Amazing might be the next book I seek to painstakingly fill in the back issues for.

Fast foward to 2010. Amazing Spider-Man #650. I don't know what the book has been like since #350, but reading this book takes me back to the good old days. Dialogue is entertaining. Pacing keeps me turning the page. Spidey is as good a read as it always has been for me.
I was on the fence with Ramos' art when he was penciling for X-Men, but in ASM, it seems more refined. He has a cartoony, almost graffiti style of artwork that compliments a web-head book well. He is on my list of artists that I sometimes call my favorites.

I'll be really annoyed when Ramos moves on from this book and I hope to see no guest artists until that day.

I haven't been in the Spidey universe for a long time, so I don't want to embarrass myself by asking questions about plot points that I've missed over the last 18 years. So if you haven't read Amazing in a long time, it's easy to pick it up and start again. Just do it. C'mon. I'll wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment