Saturday, December 4, 2010

Wolverine Vol 4 - These comics can go to hell

So I got a few issues of Wolverine: Weapon X through the X-Triple pack subscription dealio. The series ended after I received three issues, and I was hopeful that the Wolverine title replacing it would be decent, and who doesn't like to receive a first issue of a series in the mail, avoiding the assholes rushing to the comic shop to get all the stupid variants.

So anyway, it's a piece of crap. Well, maybe that's a little harsh.

I can deal with the all-too-familiar, all-too-serious story. I can deal with Guedes' relatively good artwork. I can even deal with the purple Satan. Seriously, folks, the Devil is purple. So, you know, don't worry if you've forgotten to go to confession a few times, because the guy in charge of Hell will be on What Not to Wear by then.

What I can't deal with is...well...I don't know how to feel about this book. It's just dry and flaccid for me.

Wolverine's soul is sent to Hell while a demon occupies his body and plans to murder everyone he loves with his own six claws. The Devil does the torture thing and when the Logan spits in his face and tells him to bring it, he makes his dead fiance shank him until we whines like a little bitch. Satan likes little furry men who squeal, as it were. Meanwhile, Wolvie's new girlfriend is saved from badguys by Mystique. Who is this new chick, anyway? I thought Ol'Canuckle was bonking Domino?

In any case, I just haven't been impressed.

The only redeemer is if by some twist of fate, Nightcrawler shows up in Hell to serve up a Devil-be-good special with some fancy circus-freak moves. The angle of this story is that, even though he's a devout Catholic, Nightcrawler's demonic blood got him sent to Hell when he was killed by Bastion. It's a thought. I actually was hoping that he would show up in Limbo during Second Coming in the Hellbound books. He could have Soulsworded that douche N'Astrith and taken Limbo for himself. He could really clean up Limbo. Throw a fresh coat of paint up. Put in a basketball court for the kids. I just love Nightcrawler so much that I can accept any ridiculous plot-twist that would explain his resurrection.

I give this title two prehensile tails down.

Wagner for the win, meine freunde.

No comments:

Post a Comment